Flourless chocolate cake
Torta Caprese is a traditional Italian chocolate cake made without flour. I like this recipe since ground almond is used as flour so this yummy cake has less carbohydrate and more dietary fibers. Dietary fibers increase volume of food in your stomach and delay fat and sugar absorption from the digestive system. It means you are satisfied with a smaller portion and have less chance to deposit fat in your body. When you eat a regular chocolate cake, which has more sugar and zero fiber, fat and sugar rush into your liver, overwhelm the liver capacity and end up as liver fat, which is going to be a bad cholesterol. Large amount of sugar enhance blood insulin, which accelerates fat deposit in your whole body.
In addition to dietary fibers, almonds are rich in cholesterol-lowering phytosterols and monounsaturated fatty acids, in addition to vitamin E, B vitamins and essential minerals. Enjoy!
8 ounces Dark chocolate
4 Large eggs, separated
3/4 cups Xylitol
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Orange vodka (optional)
250 g (8.8 ounces) almond flour
8 ounce (1 cup or 2 sticks) Butter, melted & cooled
Optional topping: Whip Cream or cashew cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F and lightly grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
2. In a food processor, grind almonds.
3. In a food processor, grind the chocolate until fine and fold them into melted butter.
4. Beat the egg yolks with xylitol, vanilla extract and orange vodka until pale and thick.
5. Fold chocolate mixture and almonds into the egg yolk mixture.
6. Use a clean bowl to beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
7. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate almond mixture as lightly as possible.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for about 50 minutes or until set.
9. Cool more than 20 minutes and remove from the pan.